SO GasEx will take place in the Atlantic sector of the Southern Ocean.
This map shows the approximate area we are considering for SO GasEx:
The study site was chosen to satisfy the following criteria...
- Delta pCO2 of at least 40 ľatm to ensure a large enough signal to noise for direct eddy-covariance measurements of CO2.
- Relatively stable water mass (i.e., relatively weak currents and low mesoscale eddy variability) to allow 3He/SF6 patch to be followed for up to 25 days.
- Mixing Layer Depth less than 50 to 70 m.
- Relatively high wind speeds, long fetch and large waves.
- Proximity to Punta Arenas (Chile) to minimize transit time.
Below are background plots and materials used during site selection...
- pCO2 (from Taro Takahashi)
- Mixed layer depth, current velocity, eddy kinetic energy (from Janet Sprintall)
- SST and Chl (from Pete Strutton)
- Wind speeds (from Mary-Elena Carr and Andy Jacobson)
- Mean Significant Wave Height (from David Woolf)
Also, look at the document about effect of delta pCO2 on uncertainty in direct covariance measurements of CO2 flux in the Downloads section.